Professor Suri’s areas of research interest are Indian democracy and political process, politics of public policies, political parties, elections and voting, and state politics in India. His publications include Political Parties in South Asia: The Challenge of Change, International IDEA, Stockholm, 2007; Electoral Politics in Indian States (Co-editor), Oxford University Press, New Delhi, 2009; and (Editor): ICSSR Research Surveys and Explorations: Political Science: Indian Democracy, Volume 2, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, 2013. As a member of the Lokniti team at the CSDS, Delhi, he has been associated with National Election Studies since 1999. As the recipient of Endeavour Executive Award, Government of Australia, he was a visiting scholar at School of International and Political Studies, Deakin University, Melbourne, Australia during July-October 2010. He is also the Managing Editor of the journal Studies in Indian Politics published by Sage.
Research papers published in Journals
- “Politics of democracy, development and welfare”, Seminar, 2011 (620) April, pp.51-55.
- (Co-author), “Uncertain Verdict: The 2010 Federal Elections in Australia”, Economic and Political Weekly, November 13-19, 2010, XLV (46), 26-31.
- “The Economy and Voting in the 15th Lok Sabha Elections”, Economic and Political Weekly, September 26, 2009, Vol. XLIV (39), pp. 64-70.
- “Political Economy of Agrarian Distress”, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. XLI (15), April 22-29, 2006, pp.1523-29.
- “Andhra Pradesh: From Populism to Pragmatism”, Journal of Indian School of Political Economy, Vol.XV, Nos. 1&2, Jan.-June 2003. Special issue on ‘Political Parties and Elections in Indian States: 1990-2003”, pp.45-77.
- "Competing Interests, Social Conflict and the Politics of Caste Reservations in India", Nationalism and Ethnic Politics, Vol.1, No.2, Summer 1995, pp.229-249.
- "Agrarian Question During the National Movement: 1885-1947," Social Scientist, 15(10), October 1987, pp.25-30.
Papers published in edited volumes
- “Party System and Party Politics in India”, in K.C. Suri (Editor), ICSSR Research Surveys and Explorations: Political Science: Indian Democracy, Volume 2, General Editor, Achin Vanaik, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, 2013, pp. 209-252.
- “How Is Democracy in South Asia? A comparison of the Elite and Mass Attitudes”, in Sharmila Mitra Deb and M. Manisha (eds). Changing Face of Indian Democracy, Anthem Publishers, Kolkata, 2010, pp. 171-220.
- “Dialectic of Social Justice: The Struggle of the Madigas”, in Y. Chinna Rao, (ed), Dividing Dalits: Writings on Sub-categorisation of Scheduled Castes, Rawat Publications, New Delhi, 2009, pp.172-187.
- “Telugu Desam Party”, in Peter Ronald deSouza and E. Sridharan (ed). India’s Political Parties, Delhi: Sage, 2006, pp.281-310.
- “Dilemmas of Democracy: Economic Reforms and Electoral Politics in Andhra Pradesh” in Jos Mooij (ed). The Politics of Economic Reforms in India, Delhi: Sage, 2005, pp.130-168.
- “Intra-State Problems and the Demand for Separate Telangana in Andhra Pradesh”, in R. Balasubramanian and R. Shanmugasamy (eds.), Governability and Governance in South Indian States. Chennai: University of Madras publication, 2003, pp.303-309.
- (Editor): ICSSR Research Surveys and Explorations: Political Science: Indian Democracy, Volume 2, General Editor, Achin Vanaik, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, 2013
- (Editor): Electoral Politics in Indian States ( with Sandeep Shastri and Yogendra Yadav), Oxford University Press, New Delhi, 2009.
- Political Parties in South Asia: The Challenge of Change, International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance, Stockholm, 2007