Suhas Palshikar is Director of Lokniti and Professor in the Department of Politics and Public Administration at the University of Pune. He is also the Chief Editor of the journal Studies in Indian Politics; an international peer reviewed journal brought out by Sage. He taught at a degree college from 1978 to 1989, before joining the Dept of Politics and Public Administration, University of Pune. He has been teaching courses on Political Sociology, Indian Politics, Party System in India, Political Economy of India and Political Process in Maharashtra.
He has served as Associate Director on the ICSSR project on the Sixth Lok Sabha Elections in Maharashtra from 1980-81. His research projects have included 'Politics of Marginalized Groups: A Study of Aurangabad and Ahmednagar districts' - a UGC granted project completed in 2000 and another UGC major research project, Electoral Democracy and structures of Domination: A Study of Assembly Elections in Maharashtra-2009, (May 2009- April 2011). In the year 1999-2000 Professor Palshikar and the Dept. of Politics and Public Administration, University of Pune conducted a survey of around 7000 households for a project on Pune titled 'Pune: From City to Metropolis', under the Special Assistance Programme.
Professor Palshikar has been associated with the CSDS since 1995. He has assisted in the study of the Assembly Elections in Maharashtra in 1995 and has served as the State coordinator for Maharashtra in the National Election Studies in 1996, 1998 and 1999 organised by Lokniti. He was also the Joint coordinator in the State of Democracy in the State of Democracy in South Asia (SDSA) project conducted by Lokniti. As Chief Advisor (Political Science) along with Yogendra Yadav, he worked on the project of bringing out the class IX to XII political science text books for the NCERT.
He has written over a hundred articles and essays popular press in Marathi and English and over twenty long essays in Special Issues and Annual Numbers of Monthly and Annual Magazines in Marathi. He is a regular contributor in both International and national journals, books, magazines and popular newspapers. Apart from other important positions that he has held throughout his academic career, most lately Prof. Palshikar was a visiting professor at Brown India Initiative, Brown University, Providence, USA.
Articles in journals (English)
- Of Radical Democracy and Anti-partyism, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. XLVIII No. 10, March 09, 2013, pp. 10-13
- Election Studies, in Suri K.C. (ed.), 2013, Indian Democracy, ICSSR Research Surveys and Explorations, ( Political Science; Vol. II), New Delhi, OUP, pp. 161-208
- Regional and Caste parties, in Kohli Atul and Prerna Singh ( eds.) 2013, Routledge Handbook of Indian Politics, Oxford & NY, Routledge, pp. 91-104.
- Elections in India: Prestige Deriving from Practice, 2012, published in French: Les elections en Inde: Un Prestige puissant au Coeur de la pratique et du Soutine populaire, in Governance Chronicle(Chroniques de la gouvernance), Charles Leopold Mayer (ed.), Paris, Inst for Research and Debate on Governance, ISBN: 978-2-84377-170-5; pp. 183-191 A Moment of Spurious Democracy, Seminar, 629, Jan. 2012, pp. 28-31.
- Limits of Dominant Caste Politics, Seminar, 620, April, 2011; pp. 47-50.
- Transitions, Stagnations and Transformations, (with Yogendra Yadav), Seminar, 620, April, 2011; pp. 14-20.
- Towards Radical Social Sciences: Lessons from D.R. Gadgil, in Sulabha Brahme (ed.), 2011
Articles in journals (Marathi)
- Bharatachya Rhudayatil khalabal: uttar pradeshache bahupadari guntyache rajakaaran, Parivartanacha Vatasaru; 16 Sept 2013, pp. 31-43.
- Tamilnadu madhil asmitanacha gunta ani lokanuranjanwaadi raajakaran, Parivartanacha Vatasaru; 16 Aug. 2013; pp. 35-46 & 53.
- Assam: Swatahashi bhandan asalee rajya, Parivartanacha Vatasaru, 16 July 2013; pp. 56-66
- Karnatakatil teen paksh ani adeech pakshiy spardha, Parivartanacha Vatasaru, 16 June 2013; pp. 31-39/53
- Magas jatinchya rajkaranache ranmaidan: Bihar, Parivartanacha Vatasaru, 16 May 2013, pp. 18-28.
- Hinsene zakolaleli rajakiy spardha: Nagaland, Parivartanacha Vatasaru, 16-30 April. 2013, pp. 38-45.
- Rajasthanche Dwipakshiy Rajakaran, Parivartanacha Vatasaru, 16-31 march, 2013, pp. 39-46.
- State of Democracy in South Asia, 2008, with Yogendra Yadav, Peter de Souza, et al, New Delhi, OUP.
- Jamatwad, Dharmanirapekshata ani Lokshahi, 2006, Pune, Pratima.
- Samakaleen Bharatiya Rajkaran, 2004, Pune, Pratima Prakashan.
- Raajakaaranaach Taaleband: Bharatiy Lokashahichi Vaatachaal, 2013, Pune, Sadhana.
- Lokshahi: Arth ani Vyavahar, Dec. 2010, (ed. With Rajendra Vora), Marathi Translation by Chitra Lele, Pune, Diamond.
- Lokshahi Zindabad, August 2010, (ed. with Yogendra Yadav and Peter R. De Souza), Pune, Samakaaleen Prakashan.
- Bharatatil Pradeshik Pakshanche Rajkaran, 2009, (ed.), Pune, Sadhana.
- Maharashtratil Sattasangharsh, 2007, (Edited with Suhas Kulkarni), Pune, Samakaaleen Prakashan.
- Journal of Indian School of Political Economy, 2003; Vol. 15, Nos. 1 & 2, Special Issue on Electoral Politics in Indian States, Guest edited with Yogendra Yadav.
- Indian Democracy: Meanings and Practices, 2004, New Delhi, Sage, (co-edited with Rajendra Vora).
- Review of A.M. Shah’s Grassroots of Democracy: The Imagined Debate between Pollsters and Ethnographers, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. XLII, No. 43, Oct. 27-Nov. 2, 2007, pp. 24-28.
- Review of A.M. Shah, Grassroots of Democracy, in Contributions to Indian Sociology, (n.s.), 41, 3, 2007, pp. 427-430
- Review of Javeed Alam’s Who wants Democracy? Democracy as the Weapon of the Weak, 2005, Economicand Political Weekly, Vol. XL, No. 28, July, 9 pp. 3018-3021
- Review of Zoya Hasan and Ritu Menon, Unequal Citizens: A Study of Muslim Women in India, 2004, Journal of Indian School of Political Economy, Vol. XIV, Nos. 2 & 3, April-Sept., pp. 585-88.
- Review of Nalini Rajan, Democracy and the Limits of minority rights, 2004, Contributions to Indian Sociology, Vol. (n.s.) 38, Nos. 1 & 2, pp. 275-77.
- India and China: Comparative Perspectives, (Review of the book edited by G. P. Deshpande and Alka Acharya), 2002, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 37, No. 51, Dec. 21, pp.5099-5102.
- Review of Surinder Jodhka (ed.), Community and Identities, 2002, Journal of Indian School of PoliticalEconomy, Vol. XIV, No. 1, Jan. - March, pp.189-192.