Director, CSDS & Co-Director, Lokniti Programme
Sanjay Kumar is Professor and currently the Director at the Centre for the Study of Developing Societies. His core area of research is Electoral Politics, but using survey method as research tool he has been engaged in conducting research on very wide range of themes---Indian Youth, State of Democracy in South Asia, State of Indian Farmers, Slums of Delhi and Electoral Violence.
He has published widely, written several books, edited volumes, contributed chapters for several edited volumes, published articles in various national and international research journals. His most recent book is Post Mandal Politics in Bihar: Changing Electoral Patterns. His other publications include Changing Electoral Politics in Delhi: From Caste to Class, (with Praveen Rai) Measuring Voting Behaviour in India, (with Peter R de Souza and Sandeep Shastri) Indian Youth in a Transforming World: Attitudes and Perceptions, Indian Youth and Electoral Politics: An Emerging Engagement, (with Christophe Jafferlot) Rise of Plebeians? The Changing Face of Indian Legislative Assemblies, and (with Suhas Palshkar and Sanjay Lodha) Electoral Politics in India: Resurgence of the Bhartiya Janata Party. His new volume on Indian Youth based on his latest research is forthcoming.
Besides his academic writing, he writes regularly for both national and regional newspapers, both in English and Hindi languages. His articles are published regularly in The Hindu, Indian Express, Asian Age, Deccan Chronicles, Dainik Bhaskar, Rajasthan Patrika and The Mint. He is also a well-known face on Indian Television as Psephologist and Political Commentator. He has also been an international election observer in many countries.
- Indian Youth and Electoral Politics: An Emerging Engagement, SAGE Publications, 2013
- Changing Electoral Politics in Delhi: From Caste to Class, SAGE Publications, August 2013
- (With Praveen Rai) Measuring Voting Behaviour in India, SAGE Publications, 2013
- (Edited with Christophe Jaffrelot) Rise of the Plebeians? The Changing Face of Indian Legislative Assemblies, New Delhi: Routledge, in association with CSH, New Delhi, CERI & CNRS, Paris and CSDS, Delhi; 2009)
- (with Peter R deSouza and Sandeep Shastri) Indian Youth in a Transforming World: Attitudes and Perceptions, Sage, New Delhi; 2009
- (With Sanjeer Alam) Bihar Assembly Election 2010, A Report submitted to the Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR), August 2013
- (With Sanjay Lodha), MGNREGA: An Evaluation of its functioning in Rajasthan, Submitted to the Ministry of Panchayati Raj and Rural Development. January 2013
- Indian Youth and Politics: An Emerging Engagement, A Report Published by Lokniti, Centre for the Study of Developing Societies (CSDS), Delhi, February 2012.
- Training in Survey Research with reference to National Election Study (NES) 2009, A report submitted to the Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR), March 2010
Articles in Edited Volume
- ‘Politics in Bihar: Is there a Shift from Caste to Development?’ in Manish K Jha and Pushpendra (ed.), Traversing Bihar, The Politics of Development and Social Justice, Orient Blackswan, New Delhi, 2014.
- Regional Parties, Coalition Government and Functioning of Indian Parliament: The Changing Patterns’, in (ed.) BD Dua, MP Singh, and Rekha Saxena, The Indian Parliament: The Changing Landscape, Manohar, 2014.
- Coalition Politics in Bihar: From One party Dominance to Bi-polarity to Uncertainty? in E Sridharan (ed) Coalition Politics in India Selected issues at the Centre and the States, Academic Foundation, June 2014.
- (with Rakesh Ranjan), Development Finally Delivered, in Suhas Palshikar, KC Suri and Yogendra Yadav (ed) Party Competition in Indian States, Electoral Politics in Post Congress Polity, Oxford University Press, May 2014.
- A shift Towards regionalisation of Indian Politics, in Sudha Pai (ed) Handbook of Politics in Indian States, Regions, Parties and Economic Reforms, pp 146-165, Oxford 2013.
- BJP Crafts a New Social Coalition in Bihar’, Economic and Political Weekly (Vol - XLIX No. 39, September 27, 2014)
- (with Rahul Verma, Shreyas Sardesai and Jyoti Mishra) Return of the National in Indian Elections: When do National-level Factors Play a Role in Influencing the Outcome of State Assembly Elections?, Studies in Indian Politics, Volume 2, Number 1, June 2014.
- Interpreting the massive mandate, Forward Press, June 2014
- Yuva Matdaata, Bati Hui Praathmiktaaye, Pratimaan, Year 2, Section 2, Issue 1, January-June, 2014
- (With Shreyas Sardesai and Pranav Gupta) ‘The Weakening of Electoral Anti-Incumbency’, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 48, No. 13, 30 March 2013