Sanjeer Alam is Assistant Professor at CSDS. He studied at Jawaharlal Nehru University where he received his Ph. D.
His research covers a wide range of themes encompassing disciplinary boundaries (social geography, social and political demography, education and politics). He is, however, particularly interested in socio-spatial dynamics of educational inequalities and exclusion.
Alam has published widely in national and international journals. His major work is a book titled Religion, Community, and Education: The Case of Rural Bihar (2012), Oxford University Press, New Delhi.
Articles in Journals
- Mohd. Sanjeer Alam (2010): 'Matching Census Tracts and Electoral Boundaries: The Bottom-Up Aggregation Approach' Economic and Political Weekly" Vol. 45 (34): 64-72
- Mohd. Sanjeer Alam (2010): 'Social Exclusion of Muslims in India and Deficient Debates About Affirmative Action: Suggestions for a New Approach' South Asia Research, Vol. 30 (1): 43-65
- Mohd. Sanjeer Alam(2009): 'Is Relative Size of Minority Population Linked to Under Development?' Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. XLIV (48): 17-21
- Mohd. Sanjeer Alam (2009): 'Whither Muslim Politics?' Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. XLIV, No. 39, pp. 92-95
- Mohd. Sanjeer Alam (2009): 'Can Lalu Prasad Reclaim Lost Ground?' Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. XLIV, No.17, pp. 11-14
- Mohd. Sanjeer Alam (2008): Intra-state Parity and Selection of Reserved Seats, Seminar, Issue 586, June
- Mohd. Sanjeer Alam (2008): 'Caste Dynamics and Political Process in Bihar' Journal of Indian School of Political Economy, Vol.20 (1&2): 1-32 (With Sanjay Kumar and Dhananjai Joshi).
- Mohd. Sanjeer Alam (2007), 'Contextualizing Inter, Intra-religious and Gendered Literacy and Educational Disparities in Rural Bihar', Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 42 (8), pp. 1613-22 (With Saraswati Raju).
- Mohd. Sanjeer Alam (2007): 'Genesis and Perpetuation of Social Disparities in School Education in India: An Exploratory Analysis', Journal of Educational Planning and Administration, Vol. 21 (2), pp. 109-123
- Mohd. Sanjeer Alam (2007) 'Interrogating Gendered Inequality in Educational Attainment in India', Social Change, Vol. 34 (4), pp 153-179
Contribution in Edited Volumes
- Mohd. Sanjeer Alam (2013): Education and Exclusion of Muslims” in Mushirul Hasan and Zoya Hasan (eds), India Social Development Report, New Delhi: Oxford University Press (pp. 196-211).
- Mohd. Sanjeer Alam (2013): “Understanding Social Exclusion” in Aparajita Chattopadhyay (ed), Poverty and Social Exclusion in India, Rawat Publications (pp. 15-26).
- Mohd. Sanjeer Alam (2013): Minorities and National Integration in India: Emerging Concerns and Policy Tensions” in Kidwai, A. R and A. Beg (eds.) Perspectives on National Integration, New Delhi: Viva Publications (pp. 3-22).
- Mohd. Sanjeer Alam(2010): 'Unequal They Stand: Decision making and Gendered Spaces within Family' in Saraswati Raju and Kuntala Lhiri-Dutt (eds), Doing Gender, Doing Geography: Emerging Research in India, New Delhi: Rouledge
Book Review Articles
- Md. Sanjeer Alam (2013): ‘Nation and Its Discontent’, The Book Review, Vol. 37 (2/3), Feb – March
- Md. Sanjeer Aalm (2013): “Nation and Its Margins’, The Book Review, Vol. 37 (10), October