Ramesh K. Chauhan is Associate Professor in the Department of Political Science, Himachal Pradesh University, Shimla. He has been teaching for the last sixteen years. At Himachal Pradesh University Dr. Chauhan teaches International Politics, Indian Politics and a paper on theories of Nationalism and Processes of Nation-Building, besides he is involved in supervising M.Phil. and Ph.D. Researchers.
Dr. Chauhan has been associated with Lokniti-Programme for Comparative Democracy at the Centre for the Study of Developing Societies (CSDS), Delhi, since January 2003. He is the State Coordinator for the State of Himachal Pradesh and has coordinated various State and National level studies conducted by the Lokniti / CSDS, which includes the State Election Studies (2003, 2007, 2012) and the NES-2004, 2009. He has also coordinated various round of bi-annual surveys conducted by the CSDS in Himachal “The State of Democracy in South Asia,” and “State of the Nation Survey” etc. Dr. Chauhan’s main areas of interest include Indian Politics with special reference to State Politics in India, Political of Globalization and the future of the nation-states. He is Life member of Indian Political Science Association (IPSA).
Journal / Academic Publications
- “Federalism, Governance and the Demand for Smaller Estates in India,” Indian Journal of Political Science, Vol. LXXIII, No. 2, April-June, 2012.
- “Dynamics of Democratic Transition and Competitive Politics in Himachal Pradesh,” Research Journal Social Sciences, Vol. 20, No. 1, 2012.
- “Himachal Pradesh: Pro-Incumbency Helps the BJP,” Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. XLIV, No. 19, Sept.-Oct. 2009. “Himachal Elections 2007: A Post Poll Analysis,” Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. XLIV, No. 6, Feb. 2009.
- “South-Asia-Society, Politics and Economy,” The Punjab Heritage, Vol. 21, Issue 2, Summer, 2006.
- “Himachal Pradesh: Bipolar Contest,” Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. XXXIX, No. 51, 2004.
- “Himachal Pradesh: Complex Choices in Assembly Polls,” Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. XXXVIII, No. 28, July 2003
Articles in Edited Volume
- (With S.N. Ghosh and T.R. Sharma) “Himachal Pradesh: Well Established Domination of Upper Castes, in Christopher Jefferlot and Sanjay Kumar (eds.), Rise of the Plebeians? New Delhi: Routledge, 2009.
- Globalization and India: Impacts and Implications, in Gopal Singh and Ramesh K. Chauhan (eds.), South-Asia Today. New Delhi: Anamika Publications, 2005.
- State, Ethnic Conflict and Tamil Nationality in Sri Lanka, in Gurnam Singh (ed.), Ethno-Nationalism and Emerging World (Dis) Order, New Delhi, Kanishka Publishers, 2002.
- Punjab and the Nationality Question in India, Deep and Deep Publications, New Delhi, 1995.
- With Gopal Singh (Eds.), South-Asia Today, Anamika Publications, New Delhi, 2005.
Project Completed and Undertaken
- Electoral Politics and Voting Behaviour: A Study of 15th General Elections to the Lok Sabha in Himachal Pradesh, (A Major Research Project Sanctioned by the UGC, New Delh, 2009, Under Compilation).
- Students Attendance in Primary and Upper Primary Schools in Himachal Pradesh, a major research project sanctioned by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD), Government of India, New Delhi, 2006.
- Empowerment of Women and Dalits through Panchayati Raj Institutions in Himachal Pradesh, A Study conducted in collaboration with PRIA (Participatory Research in Asia), 2003.