Irfan Nooruddin is Associate Professor in the School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University, and a member of the Lokniti Network, a Research Program of the CSDS. In 2011 he published Coalition Politics and Economic Development (Cambridge University Press). With Pradeep Chhibber, he has also written several articles on Indian electoral politics.
Since 2007, Irfan has been a resource person for Lokniti’s Summer School in Quantitative Methods in Political Science.
- Chhibber, Pradeep, Nirvikar Jassal, Sanjay Kumar, and Irfan Nooruddin. 2019. Democracy in India. Under contract with Cambridge University Press.
- Flores, Thomas Edward, and Irfan Nooruddin. 2016. Elections in Hard Times: Building Stronger Democracies in the 21st Century. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press; Washington, D.C.: Woodrow Wilson Center Press. (Simultaneous paperback)
- Coalition Politics and Economic Development: Credibility and the Strength of Weak Governments. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. (Simultaneous paperback)
Articles in Edited Volume
- Dresden, Jennifer, Thomas E. Flores, and Irfan Nooruddin. 2019. Uncertain Futures: Explaining and Evaluating Theories of Transitions from Conflict. Washington, D.C.: United States Agency for International Development. 120pp
- Meyerrose, Anna M., Thomas E. Flores, and Irfan Nooruddin. 2019. “From Elections to Democracy in Hard Times.” In Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Political Economy, ed. Mark Kayser and Stephanie Rickard. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Prasad, Shubha Kamala, and Irfan Nooruddin. 2019. " 'I am New India': Balancing Economic Liberalism with Social Conservatism." In Asianism and Universalism: The Evolution of Norms and Power in Modern Asia, edited by Nicholas Szechenyi. Washington, DC: Center for Strategic & International Studies, pp. 21-29
- Simmons, Joel W., Allen Hicken, Kenneth Kollman, and Irfan Nooruddin. 2018. “Party System Structure and its Consequences for Foreign Direct Investment.” Party Politics 24 (2): 141-153
- Nooruddin, Irfan. 2016. “Building Better Surveys.” Seminar 684 (August): 71-74
- McDaniel, Eric L., Irfan Nooruddin, and Allyson F. Shortle. 2016. “Proud to be an American: How National Pride Affects Visions of National Identity.” Journal of Race, Ethnicity, and Politics 1 (1): 145-176
- Nooruddin, Irfan, and Joel W. Simmons. 2015. “Do Voters Count? Institutions, Voter Turnout, and Public Goods Provision in India.” Electoral Studies 37: 1-14
- Nooruddin, Irfan, and Byungwon Woo. 2015. “Heeding the Sirens: The Politics of IMF Program Participation.” Political Science Research & Methods 3 (1): 73-93
- Nooruddin, Irfan, and Nita Rudra. 2014. “Are Developing Countries Really Defying the Embedded Liberalism Compact?” World Politics 66 (4): 603-640
- Nooruddin, Irfan. 2014. “Leadership and Mandates: India’s Prospects for Economic Reforms under Narendra Modi.” Georgetown Journal of Asian Affairs 1 (1): 123-126
- Nooruddin, Irfan. 2014. “Making Surveys Work Better: Experiments in Public Opinion Research.” Studies in Indian Politics 2 (1): 105-108
- Flores, Thomas Edward, and Irfan Nooruddin. 2012. “The Effect of Elections on Post-Conflict Peace and Reconstruction.” Journal of Politics 74 (2): 558-570
- Nooruddin, Irfan, and Sarah Wilson Sokhey. 2012. “Credible Certification of Child Labor Free Production.” In The Credibility of Transnational NGOs: When Virtue is Not Enough, edited by Peter Gourevitch, David A. Lake, and Janice Gross Stein. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, pp. 62-85 (Chapter 3)
- McDaniel, Eric L., Irfan Nooruddin, and Allyson F. Shortle. 2011. “Divine Boundaries: How Religion Shapes Citizens’ Attitudes Towards Immigrants.” American Politics Research 39 (1): 205- 233
- Flores, Thomas E., and Irfan Nooruddin. 2011. “Credible Commitment in Post-Conflict Recovery.” In Handbook on the Political Economy of War, edited by Christopher Coyne and Rachel Mathers. London: Edward Elgar, pp. 474-497 (Chapter 23)
- Nooruddin, Irfan, and Autumn Lockwood Payton. 2010. “Dynamics of Influence in International Politics: The ICC, BIAs, and Economic Sanctions.” Journal of Peace Research 47 (6): 711-721
- Jamal, Amaney, and Irfan Nooruddin. 2010. “The Democratic Utility of Trust: A CrossNational Analysis.” Journal of Politics, 72 (1): 45-59
- Nooruddin, Irfan, and James Raymond Vreeland. 2010. “The Effect of IMF Programs on Public Wages and Salaries.” In Global Governance, Poverty, and Inequality, edited by Rorden Wilkinson and Jennifer Clapp. London: Routledge, pp. 90-111 (Chapter 4)
- Nooruddin, Irfan, and Joel W. Simmons. 2009. “Openness, Uncertainty, and Social Spending: Implications for the Globalization-Welfare State Debate.” International Studies Quarterly, 53: 841- 866
- Flores, Thomas E., and Irfan Nooruddin. 2009. “Democracy Under the Gun: Understanding PostConflict Recovery.” Journal of Conflict Resolution, 53 (1): 3-29
- Flores, Thomas E., and Irfan Nooruddin. 2009. “Financing the Peace: Evaluating World Bank Post-Conflict Assistance Programs.” Review of International Organizations, 4 (1): 1-27
- Nooruddin, Irfan. 2008. “The Political Economy of National Debt Burdens, 1970-2000.” International Interactions, 34 (2): 156-185
- Nooruddin, Irfan, and Pradeep Chhibber. 2008. “Unstable Politics: Electoral Volatility in the Indian States.” Comparative Political Studies, 41 (8, August): 1069-1081
- Nooruddin, Irfan. 2007. “Blind Justice: ‘Seeing’ Race and Gender in Cases of Violent Crime.” Politics & Gender, 3 (3): 321-348
- Nooruddin, Irfan, and Joel W. Simmons. 2006. “The Politics of Hard Choices: IMF Programs and Government Spending.” International Organization, 60 (4, Fall): 1001-1033
- Chhibber, Pradeep, and Irfan Nooruddin. 2004. “Do Party Systems Count? The Number of Parties and Government Performance in the Indian States.” Comparative Political Studies, 37 (2, March): 152-187
- Nooruddin, Irfan. 2002. “Modeling Selection Bias in Studies of Sanctions Efficacy.” International Interactions, 28 (1): 57-74
- Chhibber, Pradeep, and Irfan Nooruddin. 2000. “Party Competition and Fragmentation in Indian National Elections: 1957-1998.” In Indian Politics and the 1998 Elections: Regionalism, Hindutva, and State Politics, eds. Ramashray Roy and Paul Wallace. New Delhi, London: Sage Publications, pp. 36-54 (Chapter 2)
- 2013. Review of Corruption and Reform in India: Public Services in the Digital Age. By Jennifer Bussell. Studies in Indian Politics 1 (2): 248-249.
- 2012. Review of Electoral Systems and the Balance of Consumer-Producer Power. By Eric C.C. Chang, Mark Kayser, Drew Linzer, and Ronald Rogowski. 2010. Perspectives on Politics 10 (4): 1012-1013.
- 2004. Review of The Production of Hindu-Muslim Violence in Contemporary India. By Paul Brass. 2004. Perspectives on Politics 2 (2): 396-397
- Nooruddin, Irfan. 2015. “Obama, Modi Visits More Symbolism than Substance,” Al-Jazeera America Online (28 January).
- Nooruddin, Irfan. 2014. “The Promise and Challenge of Narendra Modi,” Al-Jazeera America Online (30 May).
- Nooruddin, Irfan. 2009. “Governance,” APSA-CP Newsletter (Summer).
- Nooruddin, Irfan. 2008. “The Four Securities,” Indian Express (8 December).
- Kretzmann, Stephen, and Irfan Nooruddin. 2005. Drilling Into Debt. Washington, DC: OilChange International; London: Institute for Public Policy Research; Washington, DC: Jubilee USA.
SERVICE TO THE DISCIPLINE
EDITORIAL BOARD MEMBER
- American Journal of Political Science (Wiley-Blackwell), 2014 – 2018
- Asian Survey, 2019 –
- Comparative Political Studies (Sage Publications), 2013 –
- Georgetown Journal of Asian Affairs, 2014 –
- International Studies Quarterly (Wiley), 2014 – 2018
- International Studies Review (Wiley), 2015 –
- Political Science Research and Methods (Cambridge UP), 2012 – 2018
- Studies in Indian Politics (Sage Publications), 2012 –
American Political Science Association:
- Executive Council, Comparative Politics Organized Section, 2014-2016
- Co-chair, Comparative Politics of Developing Countries Section, 2017 Annual Meeting
- Co-chair, Political Economy division, 2007 Annual Meeting
Midwest Political Science Association:
- Vice President, 2018-2021
- Program Chair, 2018 Annual meeting
- Member, Executive Council, 2011-2014
- Member, Pi Sigma Alpha Award for Best Conference Paper, 2016-2017
- Member, Best Paper in the AJPS Award Committee, 2012-2013
- Member, Nominations Committee, 2007-08
- Chair, Politics of South Asia and India Section, 2017 Annual meeting
- Chair, Professional and Career Development Section, 2014 Annual Meeting
- Chair, Ethnicity and Nationalism Section, 2013 Annual Meeting
- Chair, Transitions to Democracy Section, 2008 Annual Meeting
Peace Science Society, International:
- Chair, Nominations Committee, 2018-19
- Member, Nominations Committee, 2016-17
- Member, Council, 2011-2015
- Chair, Walter Isard Best Dissertation Award Committee, 2014
- Chair, Stuart Bremer Award Committee for Best Graduate Paper, 2012
- Member, Walter Isard Best Dissertation Award Committee, 2012
- Local Coordinator, 2006 Annual Meeting
Political Methodology Society:
- Member, John T. Williams Dissertation Prize Committee, 2012-2013
- Member, Program Committee, 2008 Summer Meeting
Southern Political Science Association:
- Chair, Comparative Politics: Developing Countries, 2014 Annual Meeting
American Journal of Political Science; American Political Science Review; American Politics Research; American Sociological Review; Asian Journal of Comparative Politics; Asian Journal of Social Sciences; Asian Survey; Blackwell; British Journal of Political Science; Cambridge University Press; Columbia University Press; Comparative Political Studies; Comparative Politics; Comparative Studies in Society and History; Conflict Management and Peace Science; Contemporary South Asia; CQ Press; Defense & Peace Economics; Economic & Political Weekly; Economics & Politics; European Sociological Review; Georgetown Journal of International Affairs; Governance; Government & Opposition; Indian Politics & Policy; International Economic Journal; International Organization; International Relations; International Studies Quarterly; Israel Science Foundation; Journal of Conflict Resolution; Journal of Development Studies; Journal of Economics and Politics; Journal of Global Security Studies; Journal of Institutional Economics; Journal of Peace Research; Journal of Peacebuilding & Development; Journal of Policy Analysis and Management; Journal of Politics; Law & Society Review; Legislative Studies Quarterly; McGraw-Hill; National Science Foundation (Political Science); Oxford Economic Papers; Oxford University Press; Pacific Affairs; Palgrave; Party Politics; Perspectives on Politics; Political Analysis; Political Behavior; Political Geography; Political Research Quarterly; Political Studies; Polity; Public Choice; Religions; Review of International Organizations; Review of International Political Economy; Review of Policy Research; Routledge; Rowman & Littlefield; Social Science & Medicine; Social Science Quarterly; Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada; Statistics, Politics, and Policy; Studies in Comparative International Development; Studies in Indian Politics; Time-sharing Experiments for the Social Sciences; United States Institute for Peace; University of Michigan Press; West Virginia University Research Foundation; World Development; World Politics; Yale University Press.